Sunday, April 6, 2008

Sand-Filled Weekend

Before I get started, I thought I'd show you the cutest little guy on the planet, Nathaniel. We came home from the Dunes to be surprised by the baby. He was up here this weekend. He just can't stay away from his grandma. He was dressed so cute, jeans, this cute tee and some Vans. Oh, and could you believe, his two bottom teeth cut through! I last seen him on Wednesday and he was teething like crazy. Today, they are there. Too fast!!




When we found out that Val was having a boy, we started picking up different tees with crazy little sayings. This one was my favorite. We joke about it now, but I'm sure in about 17 years we'll be going crazy trying to get him to respect the ladies. I'm sure his daddy though will keep him in line...now grandpa, that's a different story. This little guy has grandpa wrapped around his finger!
So we headed to Dumont Dunes to camp and ride. For years I heard the guys cry over going there. All they want to do is ride the dunes. Blah, blah!! So we go. My brothers, brother-in-law, and my family. It was a nice drive, about 2 hours away, half way between us and Vegas. I wanted to yell, "Keep going, take me to Vegas!!" But, I would have hated seeing grown men cry. LOL


This is what one of the dunes looked like Friday evening.

The dunes are amazing. Big huge mountains of sand that let the wind determine how they look day to day. When we arrived there was a huge movie crew filming a military movie. We set up camp...QUICKLY...because the dunes were calling them. Then they all jumped on their quads and headed out riding. I sat in the trailer doing math homework...my idea of a great weekend!! LOL The wind picked up really bad, 30+mph and there was no visibility. It was horrible!! There was sand everywhere...everywhere...yup, even in the chonies!! Now tell me how it can get there! My trailer was a mess and I was not happy.


Tiffani was going up and down a really small dune. She ditched her quad for a Honda TRX 440. Alot bigger than her own. This is the first time she had to shift gears. She caught on too quick and is now bugging for a bigger quad with clutch and gears. Crazy psycho chick!

The next morning was calm, sunny and the place was busy with lots of families and party goers. It wasn't even a holiday weekend. We all headed out to the dunes, including myself, against my better judgement. I begged the guys to leave me alone and let me stay in my peaceful trailer doing math homework. But NOOOOO!!! They bugged and bugged so I jumped on a quad and out I went. I HATED it!! I love riding, but not in sand. After an hour of pouting and frustration, I headed back to the trailer. Jim was not happy with me. He wants me out riding with him, he thinks when I'm in the trailer that I'm bored. H-E-L-L-O!!! I'm perfectly happy in the trailer...doing math homework! LOL

James riding the dunes. He didn't go up too far, but to him, this was big enough. He was also on a bigger quad than his own. He was riding a Raptor 660. A little too powerful according to me, but not for dad.

The guys rode for the rest of the day and had the time of their life. Unfortunately for the guys, my brothers had to go home because of their wives having to work and such, so we called it a short weekend. I tried to act all sad for them, but reality was, I was thrilled to be going home. I had about enough of the sand and the mess. Everytime I touched my hair, which btw I had just had it done Friday morning, I would get sand in my nails. If I rubbed my face, I had sand on it. It was nasty!! I'm really glad riding season is almost over and river season is in. I'd rather sit in the water in 120+ degree weather anyday.


Jim climbing a dune. Doesn't look big in this pic, but it's pretty steep. Too crazy for me!

When we arrived home, Val, Daniel and the baby were there. It was a super nice surprise. Oh, and to take a wonderful, long, hot shower was amazing.

Jim and the guys are planning to head back out to Dumont Dunes in 2 weeks. I will purposely punish myself and stay home. I don't care if I have to sleep with all the lights on, I will gladly stay home in my sand free house.

Bring on the warm weather and boating season!!

XOXO

marlo

1 comment:

Team Immel said...

oooh that is the cutest baby in the funniest shirt! lol gotta love that!

what great photos! i bet they did have the time of their lives, but i'm with you. i'd rather be sand free unless it's tropical beach sand and i'm in a lounge chair with someone bringing me drinks!

xoxox
shauna